NEW YORK — Celebrity Chef Rocco DiSpirito stopped by the PIX11 Morning News to cook up a delicious (and not so guilty) chicken parm from his new cookbook, "Rocco's Keto Comfort Food Diet."
KETO CHICKEN PARMESAN
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
- Olive oil or avocado oil cooking spray
- ¾ cup almond flour
- Celtic sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half horizontally
- 2 cups store-bought good-quality low-carb marinara sauce, such as Rao’s
- 4 ounces fresh whole-milk mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 even slices
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves, for garnish
1. Preheat the broiler to high. Position a rack in the middle of the oven, about 18 inches below the broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. Place the flour in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl.
4. One piece at a time, coat the chicken with egg, then move each cutlet to the flour mixture and coat evenly.
5. Spray the chicken with 4 seconds of cooking spray and place on the prepared pan. Broil until browned on one side, about 8 minutes, then flip the chicken over and brown the other side.
6. Bring the marinara sauce to a simmer in a large sauce pan.
7. Remove the chicken from the broiler and place it in a large baking dish. Top each piece of chicken with the marinara sauce and 2 slices of mozzarella.
8. Return the chicken to the broiler and cook until the cheese is melted.
9. Remove from the broiler and sprinkle the Parmigiano evenly over the chicken. Garnish with the basil and serve.