NEW YORK — After PIX11's Ben Aaron asked viewers to share their favorite recipes, 8-year-old viewer Charlotte from Staten Island sent in her "delicious" sausage orzo soup recipe, via her mom, Dianne.
Aaron will try his hand at Charlotte's soup on the PIX11 Morning News Wednesday morning, but you can try to make it, too.
Charlotte's Sausage Orzo Soup
- Chopped half of an onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- Saute above ingredients in olive oil or a little butter.
- Add 1 package of ground sweet sausage. Stir and brown for a few minutes.
- While sausage browns, boil water in separate pot for the orzo.
- Cook half box of orzo and set aside.
- In the sausage pan, add 1/4 of Raos jarred tomato sauce.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Add one 32 oz. College Inn chicken broth mix.
- Drop in half package of baby spinach.
- Add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and Italian spices to taste.