MANHATTAN — Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance, Jr. says that charges of unlawful assembly and disorderly conduct against those protesting in the wake of the murder of George Floyd will not be prosecuted.
The DA's policy was previously that individuals charged with these low-level offenses could have their cases dismissed within six months. Vance's office calls the refusal to prosecute "in the interest of justice" and will evaluate and potentially decline to prosecute other charges related to the wave of protests.
“The prosecution of protesters charged with these low-level offenses undermines critical bonds between law enforcement and the communities we serve," said Vance in a statement. "Days after the killing of George Floyd, our nation and our city are at a crossroads in our continuing endeavor to confront racism and systemic injustice wherever it exists. Our office has a moral imperative to enact public policies which assure all New Yorkers that in our justice system and our society, black lives matter and police violence is a crime."
Protests have been going on in response to Floyd's death at the hands of Minneapolis police, which has prompted ongoing global protests against police brutality, all across New York City since May 28.