NewsLocal News

Actions

Lawsuits filed against Trump over order on district drawing

Letitia James sworn in as New York attorney general
Posted at 9:48 PM, Jul 24, 2020
and last updated 2020-07-24 21:48:45-04

NEW YORK — A coalition of states, counties and cities and another of civil and immigrants’ rights groups has sued President Donald Trump over his executive order that would not include people in the U.S. illegally in how congressional districts are redrawn.

In the lawsuits, filed in federal court in Manhattan on Friday, the memorandum Trump signed earlier this week was called a unconstitutional ad discriminatory.

When he signed the order, Trump said including those in the country illegally in the count “would create perverse incentives and undermine our system of government.”

Critics said the Constitution requires every person to be counted.