NewsLocal NewsBrooklyn


Cops shot armed Crown Heights man 62 times, officials say in new video update including body cam footage

Alleged gunman dead after police-involved shooting in Brooklyn
Posted at 4:18 PM, Jul 31, 2020
and last updated 2020-07-31 16:25:38-04

CROWN HEIGHTS, Brooklym — Police have released new information and body cam footage regarding a June shooting, where officers shot and killed an alleged gunman in Crown Heights.

Officials said 10 officers fired 62 shots at Tyquan Graves, 34, who is accused of shooting a 49-year-old man on June 2 near the Kingsborough Houses in Brooklyn.

The incident began at around 9:13 p.m. near Bergen Street and Rochester Avenue, when Graves fired shots at the man, officials said. The victim was struck in the leg once.

After the encounter with the man, Graves ran and hid behind a tree, Sergeant Carlos Nieves said in a video, posted to YouTube Friday.

The victim moved into the area of the Kingsborough Houses and was taken to a hospital by EMS, Nieves said.

Following a ShotSpotter Alert and 911 calls, police responded to the area and found Graves laying on his stomach. An officer noticed Graves' firearm as he moved from his stomach to his knees, Nieves said.

Body cam footage shows officers tell Graves to put his gun down. Warnings continued from officers, demanding Graves "put it down," "stop moving," and "let me see your hands" for about two and a half minutes, according to Nieves.

As Graves moved from his knees to his feet with the gun still in his hand, refusing to drop it and raising it at police, officers fired 62 shots at him, all according to the NYPD.

He was struck 12 times. Officers administered CPR and he was taken to a hospital. He was later pronounced dead.

Nieves said during the investigation, police found seven shell casings in the area, and determined they were fired from Graves' firearm.

Graves' gun, though, did not have any ammunition in it when it was recovered from him after he was shot by police, Nieves said. He did not indicate that Graves fired any shots at police.

The city was under curfew at the time of the shooting, a response to unrest sparked by the death of George Floyd, who was killed in police custody in Minneapolis on May 25.

At the time of the shooting, NYPD Chief of Department Terence Monahan emphasized that the shooting was unrelated to any protests happening in the city related to Floyd's death.