NewsLocal NewsBronx


Body of 13-year-old boy who tried to save drowning friend found

Isaiah Moronta
Posted at 10:03 AM, Apr 22, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-25 15:26:19-04

MANHATTAN — The body of a 13-year-old boy who jumped into the water near Spuyten Duyvil Bridge last month, hoping to save his drowning friend, has been found.

Isaiah Moronta’s father, Oscar, who led a jet ski search for the boys that lasted more than five weeks, posted the sad news on his Instagram account Tuesday evening.

Isaiah’s friend, 13-year-old Manny Flores, is still missing.

Using the hashtag #isaiahthehero and #isaiahandmanny, Moronta wrote: It “wasn’t the outcome I would’ve wanted but I don’t question God. Isaiah is a hero n he sacrificed his life to save his friend. He will forever be a legend in my eyes cuz he did something that a lot of adults wouldn’t even do. I love u forever Isaiah n we still a team, ima make sure your name lives forever. I won’t let you down. I will keep fighting till we find manny. LONG LIVE ISAIAH.”

Moronta told PIX11 News Tuesday night that he appreciated all the condolences.

“The search continues for Manny. We have to find Manny now,” he added.

It was a search that started on March 13.

Missing Bronx boys
Manny Flores and Isaiah Moronta went missing March 13, 2020.

Two families in Inwood, Upper Manhattan were desperately looking for their 13-year-old boys, who made the mistake of jumping into the creek attached to the mighty Hudson River.

The boys had gone to McDonald’s after school at P.S. 278 and made their way to a place they called “The Beach,” a spot where Spuyten Duyvil Creek meets the Hudson River.

It was a really warm day for mid-March.

Isaiah stripped down to his green underwear and jumped from the Amtrak bridge over the creek and came out.

“My son is very adventurous,” Isaiah’s mother, Yvelise Beltre, had said about her only child.

Isaiah came out of the water, but then Manny wanted to try the jump.

“His friend didn’t know how to swim,” Moronta told PIX11. “So Isaiah went in after him to save him.”

Manny’s mother, Sue Flores, said there were girls there who witnessed it.

“He was yelling for help; that’s why Isaiah decided to jump again,” Flores said.