NEW YORK — Children and families in New York City have the opportunity to participate in safe, structured activities under the Play Streets initiative.
Mayor Bill de Blasio annoyed the new initiative, which adds to the Open Streets program the city implemented amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
About 12 Open Streets across the five boroughs will be available for activities during weekdays in partnership with the Fresh Air Fund, Building Healthy Communities and the Police Athletic League.
At the Play Street locations, children can participate in arts and crafts, sports and other activities. Giant board games and sports drills, including basketball, kickball and softball, will be available.
Reading corners, dance classes and exercises classes will also be provided, according to the city.
All activities have been designed to meet social-distancing standards.
“Young people deserve the chance to play freely in their neighborhoods while staying safe from COVID-19, and Play Streets will go a long way toward easing the burden of a summer unlike any other,” said Mayor de Blasio.
“Rebuilding a fairer and better city means using our urban landscape creatively, and I’m proud to build on the success of our Open Streets program by finding exciting and productive uses for city streets.”
The Play Streets are expected to continue through Sept. 4, and will be open Monday through Thursday, with the exception of the Staten Island location, which is open on Friday, according to officials.
Play Street locations:
- Sunset Park: (Begins Aug. 5 between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) 6th Ave. from 44th St. to 45th St.
- Crown Heights: (Begins Aug. 3 between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) Park Pl. from New York Ave. to Kingston Ave.
- Brownsville: (Begins July 27 between 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.) Blake Ave. from Powell St. to Mother Gaston Blvd.
- Bushwick: (Begins July 27 between 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.)Humboldt St. from Moore Street to Varet St.
- Quarry Ballfields/Belmont: (Begins Aug. 3 between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) Oak Tree Pl. from Hughes Ave. to Quarry Rd.
- Mt. Eden/Highbridge: (Begins Aug. 3 between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) Cromwell Ave. from McClellan St. to Jerome Ave.
- Harlem: (Begins Aug. 5 between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) 150th St. from St. Nicholas Pl. to Edgecombe Ave.
- Harlem: (Begins July 27 between 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.) 129th St. from Adam Clayton Powell Blvd. to Frederick Douglas Blvd.
- Jackson Heights/Corona: (Begins July 30 between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) 34th Ave from 72nd St. to 74th St.
- Jackson Heights/Corona: (Begins July 30 between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) 34th Ave. from 79th St. to 80th St.
- Jackson Heights/Corona: (Begins July 30 between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) 34th Ave. from 92nd St. to 94th St.
- Stapleton: (Fridays between Aug. 7 to Sept. 4 between 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.) Wright Street from Canal St. to Thompson St.