NewsCoronavirus

Actions

Newark cites more than 800 people over stay-at-home order

Virus Outbreak
Posted at 2:19 PM, Apr 06, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-06 14:19:37-04

NEWARK, NJ — New Jersey’s biggest city has cited more than 800 people and ordered dozens of businesses closed on charges they violated the governor’s stay-at-home order to combat COVID-19, authorities said.

Newark Public Safety Director Anthony Ambrose told NJ.com that 842 people were issued summonses, and 44 nonessential businesses have been closed in the week since police began cracking down.

Police at first gave people warnings but began to issue summonses on March 31, according to authorities.

Gov. Phil Murphy signed the stay-at-home directive on March 21.

Ambrose said people had been “blatantly” violating the order.