NEW YORK —
Below you will find the most up-to-date information on coronavirus news impacting New York. You can find additional resources and coverage on our coronavirus page.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo held his daily briefing. Watch below.
Reopening and COVID-19 updates:
- Every region of New York is now reopening.
- As New York enters a new phase of the pandemic, there is a new, data-driven focus on daily testing and infection numbers.
- Moving forward, we need to do two things simultaneously, Cuomo says.
- Monitor the reopening
- Energize the reopening
- Stimulate the economy with large-scale development projects
- Capitalize on the moment of reduced activity
- Fast-tracking the construction of a new LaGuardia Airport
- Will be the first major new airport built in the U.S. in 25 years and will be a major boost to the New York economy.
- LaGuardia's new Terminal B arrivals and departures hall opens now, Port Authority Executive Director Rick Cotton said.
Protests and police reform updates:
- Cuomo says again that he will sign legislation this week that will lead the nation in policing reform, including repealing 50-a and banning police chokeholds.
NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio held his daily briefing. Watch in video below.
Cure Violence movement
- Expanding cure violence to four additional precincts in Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn
- Cure Violence would cover 20 precincts with highest gun violence
- Increase crisis management system budget by $10 million
- Funding to help add staff and create new sites
- Andre Mitchell, founder of Man Up Inc. "We need to make sure there is legislation that supports permanent office" that prevents gun violence.
- "We need a plan that’s a public health approach to public safety."
- Must continue to testing and tracing
- Anyone who wants to get tested call 311 or visit nyc.gov/covidtest
- More testing for hard-hit areas (15-20 new sites from community-based clinics)
- City now offering testing kits to all hospitals and hospital systems. Immediately sending 3,000 Made in NYC test kits to Staten Island.
- Monday, June 15: NYC will give an update on Test and Trace Corps. findings
Daily indicators (all under thresholds)
- COVID hospital admissions: 67
- H+H ICUs: 341
- Percentage tested positive: 3%
Long Island enters Phase 2 of reopening Wednesday. Watch more above.
Nassau County Executive Laura Curran spoke to the PIX11 Morning News about reopening and police reform. Watch interview here.
Latest official numbers:
As of Tuesday morning, there were 379,482 confirmed COVID-19 cases in New York, with the state's death toll sitting at 24,348.
The New York state coronavirus hotline is 1-888-364-3065; information is also being posted here