NEW YORK —
Below you will find the most up-to-date information on coronavirus news impacting New York. You can find additional resources and coverage on our coronavirus page.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo held his daily briefing on reopening and more; Watch below.
Reopening and COVID-19 updates
- New York reported 36 coronavirus-related deaths Wednesday, one of the lowest daily totals since pandemic began.
- NY allowing cities to open public pools and playgrounds at their own discretion, while following state guidance.
- Five regions enter Phase 3 tomorrow (Friday): North Country, Finger Lakes, Central New York, Mohawk Valley and Southern Tier
NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio held his daily coronavirus briefing. Watch in video below.
Reopening in NYC
- Communities depend on small businesses and mom and pop shops
- Restaurant Revitalization Program: Support unemployed and underemployed restaurant workers.
- $3 million from NYC Opportunity, Mayor’s Fund to Advance NYC and One Fair Wage.
- Focus on 27 communities hardest hit.
- Grants up to $30,000 each to subsidize wages of $20 per hour for six weeks.
- Restaurants must commit to $15 minimum wage on top of tips for next five years
- Three programs implemented by NYC Young Men’s Initiative in partnership with Dept. of Probation Neighborhood Opportunity Network (NeON)
- NeON Summer: $3.65 million to support NeON SUmmer, offering 2,700 young people a paid 6-8 week remote-learning summer immersion
- Program gives employment readiness, career expiration and mentorship, social and civic leadership
- Each One Teach One: $100,000 to support program and connect youth with mentors and media experts. Youth paid to design media messages and campaigns to promote social distancing
- Community crisis response initiative: $220,000 to support at least 500 youth at 22 community based organizations focused crisis response.
- Other neighborhoods include: East New York, Brownsville, Jamaica, Far Rockaway, South Bronx, North Shore Staten Island
Youth Town halls
- NYC will hos series of Youth Town Halls in each borough
- NYPD officers will partner with Cure Violence providers and meet with local teens, explore interactions between youth and police
- Pilot in Harlem with Street Corner Resources, expansion to all five boroughs in areas with high police and youth interactions.
Daily indicators (all under threshold)
- COVID hospital admissions: 69
- H+H ICUs: 337
- Percentage tested who are positive: 3%
- Chancellor Carranza’s plans for schools.
- We’re going to continue being on a continuum, but we don’t know what three months will look like.
- What the chancellor is saying is that we need to be ready.
- We need to make it safe, we believe we can.
- Swifter action on police discipline
- Mayor wants to see action done in a matter of days.
- Expect model going forward is speed and transparency.
- Make sure NYPD does the investigation promptly, results prompt, disciplinary action prompt.
Latest official numbers:
As of Thursday morning, there were 380,156 confirmed COVID-19 cases in New York, with the state's death toll sitting at 24,404.
The New York state coronavirus hotline is 1-888-364-3065; information is also being posted here