NEW YORK — Below you will find the most up-to-date information on coronavirus news impacting New York. You can find additional resources and coverage on our coronavirus page.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo is holding a daily briefing to discuss coronavirus reopening plans and ongoing police brutality protests. Watch the news conference below.
COVID-19 and reopening
- Total hospitalizations fell to 1,657, the lowest daily level since March 20.
- New York reported an additional 23 coronavirus deaths on Saturday.
- Open enrollment in the state's health insurance exchange is extended for an additional 30 days to July 15.
- Low-risk youth sports will be allowed for regions entering Phase 3 of reopening beginning July 6. Spectators are restricted to two people per participating child. Qualifying sports include: baseball; softball; gymnastics; field hockey; cross country; and crew.
- The state has received 25,000 complaints about businesses violating the state's reopening plan. "We've never received so many complaints in such a short period of time," Cuomo said.
- The governor said the state is also aware of many reports of mass gatherings with no social distancing and no masks across the state.
- Cuomo particularly called out bars and restaurants for violating the law.
- Bars and restaurants that do not follow the reopening plan and stick to the phase their region is in can lose their liquor license. State investigators are conducting inspections, according to the governor.
- Cuomo said he personally called several bars and restaurants to speak to the owners after seeing photos of those establishments breaking the law.
- Individuals can be fined or open container and social distancing violations.
- Local governments are responsible for monitoring compliance of the reopening plan. A failure to govern will result in closures, Cuomo warned.
- The governor called on mayors and county executives to "do your job."
- Cuomo renewed his call for community leaders to work with local governments on his executive order to reevaluate and redesign police departments statewide.
- "If you can make a baby in nine months, you can redesign a police department," Cuomo said in response to criticism that the deadline on the executive order is too short.
The western part of New York and the Capital region are poised to enter Phase 3 of reopening this week. Read more.
Latest official numbers:
As of Sunday morning, there were 382,630 confirmed COVID-19 cases in New York, with the state's death toll sitting at 24,527.
The New York state coronavirus hotline is 1-888-364-3065; information is also being posted here