NEW YORK — Below you will find the most up-to-date information on coronavirus news impacting New York. You can find additional resources and coverage on our coronavirus page.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo held a press conference on NY's reopening. Watch below in full.
- MTV Video Music Awards to take place at Brooklyn's Barclays Center on Sunday, Aug. 30, but with limited or no audience.
- Gov. Cuomo directing NY State Police to launch a Fireworks Enforcement Detail in an effort to prevent illegal fireworks from being brought into state from Pennsylvania.
- As of Sunday there are 853 coronavirus hospitalizations in New York, the lowest numbers since March 18, Cuomo says.
- New York now seeing lowest 3-day average death total since pandemic began.
- New York reported 8 new fatalities Sunday, Cuomo says.
- Western New York moving into Phase 4 tomorrow (Tuesday).
- New York City set to enter Phase 3 next Monday, but there are two complications:
- Lack of compliance with social distancing rules and congregating in public, also with local government enforcement
- Spread from other states
NYC reopening issues
- Indoor dining has been show in other states to pose risks
- Out door dining has been doing well
- State will be reviewing data and consulting with NYC stakeholders about the risk and reward for indoor dining
- Final decision on indoor dining as part of Phase 3 by Wednesday, Cuomo says
Mayor Bill de Blasio held his daily briefing. Watch in video below.
- Pitch: Shift $1 billion in NYPD funding to other services, including resources to youth, and public housing
Criminal justice system
- Effective immediately: Dept. of Correction will end punitive segregation for medically vulnerable (people with underlying medical conditions)
- Already prohibited for those with serious mental illness, pregnancy
- Also prohibited for those with: Asthma, seizures, kidney and liver disease, treatment with blood thinners, heart and lung disease, diabetes
- Board of corrections forming a working group charge with finding a path to eliminate punitive segregation in NYC jails
- This fall: Group will present recommendations for formal changes to Board of Correction rules
Phase 3 in NYC
- City working with state to reevaluate indoor dining as other states see surge of virus
- COVID hospitalizations: 51
- H+H ICUs: 297
- Percentage tested who are positive: 2%
NYC Department of Sanitation Commissioner Kathryn Garcia spoke with the PIX11 Morning News as alternate side parking returns. Watch in video below.
Latest official numbers:
As of Monday morning, a total of 392,539 people had tested positive for COVID-19 in New York, with the state's death toll at 24,835.
The New York state coronavirus hotline is 1-888-364-3065; information is also being posted here