NEW YORK — Below you will find the most up-to-date information on coronavirus news impacting New York. You can find additional resources and coverage on our coronavirus page.
NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio held his daily briefing. Watch in video below.
Phase 4 in NYC
- Industries include: low-risk outdoor arts and entertainment, professional sports with no fans, media production
- Even though there's evidence between indoor and outdoor activities, remain cautious.
- Overcrowding in Astoria: It's not widespread, but it has to be stopped. Restaurant considered "focal point" of crowds has been shut down for outdoor dining.
- If it has to be done, summonses will be issued.
- "When we agreed to let this part of our life come back, it's not meant to be business as usual," Mayor de Blasio said.
- Goal is not to shut down businesses. Now is time to take more aggressive action.
- Continue wearing face coverings and social distancing.
- Residents say if the city had acted sooner, crowds could've been prevented — Why did it take so long to act?
- When will mall and indoor activities resume? What criteria will be looked at?
- No set timeline because of major concerns over indoor situations.
- Will continue to look at what will make them safe when the moment comes. Officials will continue to look at everything.
- Stay hydrated, stay cool, check on neighbors
- 160 cooling centers open, 230 cooling and misting locations, 300 hydrants open with spray cap (visit nyc.gov/BeatTheHeat)
- 100 million Citi Bike trips taking in NYC
- 1,000 Citi Bike stations installed
- COVID hospitalizations: 74
- H+H/ICU admissions: 311
- Percentage tested positive: 2%
- Schools: Reports that Israel has shifted reopening of schools regarding to (kindergarten to 4th grade) Will NYC make a shift?
- NYC’s approach will remain cautious. Blended learning remains main option
- Masks on public transit: 90% wear masks. What can be done to have more people comply?
- Best measures are reminders, educational efforts and offering free face coverings
Gov. Andrew Cuomo makes an announcement at JFK Airport. Watch in video below.
- There are 716 coronavirus hospitalizations in New York, the lowest levels since March 18.
- NY reported 8 new COVID-19 fatalities on Sunday.
- 49,342 tests on Sunday, with 519 positive results (1.05% positive)
Protecting NY's COVID-19 progress
- Cuomo spoke on reports of crowding and mask violations at NYC bars and restaurants over the past weekend.
- Governor tells those partying, "knock it off" and "don't be stupid."
- Governor tells local governments and police, "do your job," in enforcing social-distancing rules.
- Cuomo warns of rollbacks in local reopenings if issues not addressed or curbed.
New York City finally enters Phase 4 of reopening, but it's a bit scaled back with additional restrictions. Read more details of what it entails here.
Latest official numbers:
As of Sunday afternoon, a total of 406,807 people had tested positive for COVID-19 in New York, with the state's death toll at 25,048.
The New York state coronavirus hotline is 1-888-364-3065; information is also being posted here