NEW YORK — After a Manhattan woman became New York's first confirmed COVID-19 case Sunday, her husband has tested negative for the novel coronavirus, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Wednesday.
"I actually wagered the other way, so that's the good news," Cuomo said, referring to his initial statement Sunday assuming the husband would also test positive.
The man's 39-year-old wife, a health care worker, contracted the virus while in Iran, officials said. She was said to be isolated in her home and not in serious condition, but did have some respiratory symptoms, officials said Sunday.
Cuomo said the woman flew back home to New York on Tuesday, Feb. 25. Due to her health care background, she knew to take precautions and did not take public transportation home from the airport.
"We don't believe she was contagious on the plane or in the car," the governor said Sunday.
Giving another coronavirus update at Wednesday's press conference, Cuomo announced that the 20-year-old son, 14-year-old daughter, wife and neighbor of a New Rochelle man, who was the state's second confirmed case, have all tested positive as well.
These positive results bring New York's total COVID-19 cases so far to six.
Follow these tips to help keep yourself and others healthy amid the coronavirus outbreak.