NewsLocal NewsManhattan


2 found dead of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in East Harlem

Posted at 10:49 AM, Apr 16, 2017
and last updated 2017-04-16 15:50:44-04

EAST HARLEM, Manhattan — A married couple died in an East Harlem apartment after the oven was left on overnight Sunday.

The elderly victims were found around 9 a.m. in an apartment at 1952 First Ave., police said.

The couple attended church every Sunday, neighbors said, but died hours before the Easter Sunday service. They were described as great neighbors who did a lot for the community.

The New York Daily News identified the victims as Jadoris Crawford, 71, and John Crawford, 80.

“I looked up to John like a father,” said neighbor Harold Atkinson.

It’s believed the two people died of carbon monoxide poisoning. FDNY Deputy Chief said responders’ carbon monoxide detectors went off the moment they opened the victims’ apartment door.

The Crawfords’ appear not to have had a carbon monoxide detector in their apartment.

This is a developing story; check back for updates and get the PIX11 News app to stay informed all day.