News

Actions

Bronx residents rally against landlord after faulty radiator causes death of 2 children

Posted at 10:14 PM, Dec 18, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-18 22:14:10-05

HUNTS POINT, The Bronx -- Dozens of Bronx residents holding signs saying "we charge murder"and "end-all cluster housing" gathered in front of the apartment building on Hunts Point Avenue where 2-year-old Ibanez and 1-year-old Scylee Ambrose died after a radiator valve blew off causing scalding hot steam to severely burned the little girls.

The Ambrose family were among five homeless families living in this cluster site housing run by the NYC Department of Homeless Services.

"I blame Mayor de Blasio, the Department of Homeless Services, the landlord and the nonprofit Bushwick Economic Development Corporation," Jay Espy, the People Power Movement spokesman, told PIX11.

This homeless cluster apartment building is owned by Moshe Piller, prominently featured on the public advocates 2016 worst landlords in New York City list and operated by the Bushwick Economic Development Corporation, also known as Bedco.

This building alone had 116 open violations in December 2015 which grew to 139 violations by the end of this year.

"And it is not just this building and not just for the homeless, Dalaeja Foreman, a People Power Movement member, told PIX11.

A GoFund me page set up to help the Ambrose Family has grown to close to $19,000 and neighbors, including a mother and daughter who came to this rally to show their support and offer condolences to these parents.

"What bothers me is that it takes a tragedy for people to demand housing," Angelique Williams, a Hunts Point neighbor, told PIX11.