MANHATTAN— With the U.S, Women’s National Soccer Team taking New York City by storm Friday for their historic ticker-tape parade, PIX11 is taking a look back on some of the notable parades that have graced the Canyon of Heroes since the very first one in 1886.
Friday’s big affair will be New York’s 206th ticker-tape parade, and the marches have celebrated everything from soldiers, presidents, kings, astronauts, popes and — of course — triumphant athletes.
Here are some of the highlights:
- October 28, 1886 : The first ever ticker-tape parade honors the dedication of the Statue of Liberty.
- April 29, 1889: The centennial of George Washington’s inauguration as the first president of the United States is memorialized.
- June 13, 1927: Charles A. Lindbergh is honored for the first solo nonstop transatlantic flight
- June 20, 1932: Amelia Earhart is saluted for the first solo transatlantic flight by a woman
- April 12, 1962: New York Mets are welcomed as a new National League baseball team
- 1978: New York Yankees are feted for their World Series championship.
- October 3, 1979: Pope John Paul II
Original PIX coverage of Pope John Paul II's ticker-tape parade.
- January 30, 1981: U.S. Hostages, who were released from Iran after 444 days in captivity, are honored.
- August 15, 1984: U.S. Olympic medal winners from the Los Angeles games receive the salute along Broadway
Original PIX coverage of the Team USA ticker-tape parade in lower Manhattan.
- May 7, 1985: Vietnam War veterans are honored 10 years after the fall of Saigon.
Original PIX coverage of the Vietnam Veterans ticker-tape parade.
- October 28, 1986: New York Mets, World Series champion
- June17 1994: New York Rangers Stanley Cup champions
Original PIX coverage of the New York Rangers ticker-tape parade.
- October 1998: New York Yankees win the World Series
Original PIX coverage of the New York Yankees ticker-tape parade.
- October 1999 and 2000: New York Yankees, World Series champions
- February 2008: New York Giants Superbowl XLII champion
- November 2009: New York Yankees, World Series champions
- February 7, 2012: New York Giants Superbowl XLVI champion
For a full list of ticker-tape parades that New York City has hosted, visit Downtown Alliance's website.