Judge rejected restraining order against missing infant’s father, days before suicide attempt

Posted at 12:15 PM, Jul 07, 2015
and last updated 2015-07-07 13:10:36-04

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. -- Police believe a 22-year-old man jumped off a bridge holding his infant son. The man lived, but police on Tuesday are still searching for the baby's body in the Connecticut River.

Firefighters pulled Tony Moreno from the water Sunday after he leaped off the Arrigoni Bridge in Middletown, Conn. He was alert, authorities said. Moreno is in critical condition, according to Hartford Hospital, where he was taken.

Authorities received a call at 11:45 p.m. from someone who said that Moreno was on the bridge threatening to kill himself.

Two police officers who arrived at the bridge saw Moreno but did not see a baby, Middletown police said. But witnesses told investigators they saw Moreno holding an infant on the bridge.

The father has not yet been charged, but Middletown Mayor Daniel Drew told CNN that the state's attorneys office is investigating.

The Hartford Courant reports that it was a member of Moreno's family who made that call to police. It's unclear how that family member is related to Moreno.

The newspaper obtained court records that show an open child custody case between the child's mother, Adrianne Oyola, and Moreno. She applied for a restraining order on June 17 because she was afraid for her safety and the safety of her 7-month-old, Aaden.

Oyola wrote that the couple was happy, the newspaper said, until she got pregnant and he started to threaten and abuse her, the Courant said.

"He has told me he could make my son disappear any time of the day," the paper quotes her restraining order application. "He told me how he could make me disappear told me how he could kill me. I sometimes am scared to sleep. He told me he would put me in the ground and put something on me to make me disintegrate faster."

The application reportedly continues, "I can't bring [the baby] around my family without [Moreno's] approval, but he could do anything he wants without letting me know. I feel that he is a danger to my child and me and would like to leave with my child and get full custody."

According to the newspaper, there was a temporary restraining order that was initially issued, but on June 29 a judge denied the restraining order application. The reasons for that are unclear, the Courant reports.

"[We're feeling] total despair," Tom Marino, Aaden's great uncle, told CNN affiliate WFSB. "It's sad to lose Tony but it's even sadder to lose the baby that way."

A vigil Monday night drew many residents in Middletown and another is planned this week.

"It's the worst thing you could imagine -- especially as a parent," said Drew, the mayor. "The loss of a child, seven months old, his life and his future were stolen away from him. The community is mourning. Our entire community is feeling that pain for Aaden and his family."