Cops think customs officer’s 2010 murder was a ‘hit’

Posted at 11:07 PM, Mar 25, 2014
and last updated 2014-07-18 12:21:16-04

NEW YORK (PIX11) – Katisha Gordon was working her nursing job on Father’s Day 2010, when her husband, Maurice, told her by phone their 14-month old daughter, Zoe, was having trouble sleeping.

Father and daughter were staying at his parents’ house on 118th Avenue in Jamaica, because Maurice Gordon had to be at work at 6 am Monday.  He was a U.S. Customs Officer at nearby Kennedy Airport.

“He was proud of his job; he loved his job,” Katisha Gordon told PIX 11.

Maurice’s cousin, Kerry Ann, was visiting the house from Jamaica, West Indies, and wanted to go to a nightclub called “Moments”–a ten minute drive away in Elmont, Long Island.

“She kept asking him, ‘Let’s go to the club,'” Maurice Gordon’s mother, Merle, recalled.

At 1 am, in the early hours of June 21, 2010, Maurice Gordon relented and drove his cousin to the club. He stayed by the D.J.’s booth, while Kerry Ann was closer to the dance floor.

“She stated that she got into an altercation, because an individual wanted to dance with her,” Dionne Gordon said to PIX 11, quoting her cousin.

The cousin said Maurice Gordon tried to defuse the situation, and surveillance footage shows the two leaving the Club around 4 am that Monday morning.

“It was 4:10 in the morning, when he pulled up in front of his mother’s house,” Detective Robert Dewhurst of the NYPD told PIX 11. “A black SUV pulled up, and three people exited the vehicle and started shooting at him.”

Customs Agent

Gordon’s cousin ran into the family driveway on 118th Avenue, off Long Street, while Gordon returned fire with his .40 caliber service weapon. One of the slugs from a 9mm gun hit him in the heart.  Gordon stumbled two houses away and fell, mortally wounded.

His elderly father, Desmond, ran out onto the sidewalk in his boxer shorts, crying “Son, son, say something to me, son.”

Eight days later, while Desmond Gordon was dressing for his son’s wake, he died from a massive heart attack at home.

“One murder has caused two deaths,” Dionne Gordon said recently.

Gordon’s family has long believed the killers followed Maurice home from the nightclub and that his cousin may even know them. But detectives aren’t so sure about that scenario.

“I have an anonymous tip that there was a vehicle down the street parked….a black SUV, waiting,” said Detective Dewhurst.

He said the female cousin, Kerry Ann, has been cooperative, even though she is now estranged from the Gordon family.

“The witness gave us one, composite sketch of one of the three gunmen, ” Dewhurst said. “Things happen fast. You’re not going to remember everything.”

The NYPD and Mayor’s office are offering a combined $22,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction. Tipsters can call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-577-TIPS.

Katisha Gordon is now going for her Masters in Education, so she can teach future nurses. She made a decision to give Zoe a sibling, not long after her husband was killed. She had conceived Zoe through in vitro fertilization and some of Maurice’s frozen sperm was in the lab.

“He had said prior to having our first, if anything ever happens to me, save what you can and have a child,” Katisha Gordon recalled to PIX 11.

“I found out on his birthday I was pregnant with Paige.”

Paige Eva was born on July 26, 2011, just over a year after her father’s murder. She will be three this year. Big sister, Zoe, is nearly five and asks more questions now about her father’s death.

“So I explained to her, ‘Remember what happens in the Lion King? The father?'”

“I said, ‘Remember the father passed away, because he got hurt?  Well, when you get hurt, you sleep forever.'”