Police investigating possible hate crime recorded on subway after Pride Parade

Posted at 11:38 AM, Jul 04, 2013
and last updated 2013-07-04 17:35:22-04

BRONX (PIX11) –  The NYPD’s hate crime unit is now investigating a possible hate crime caught on camera after Sunday’s Pride Parade.

After celebrating a landmark Supreme Court decision at NYC’s Pride festivities, a group of LGBT youth were allegedly harassed and two women physically assaulted in an altercation on a subway car.

According to the person that uploaded it, the altercation took place on a Queens-bound F train at 11:45 p.m.

While it is unclear what preceded cell-phone video of the incident, one of the men can be heard making sexual, aggressive comments to the group.  The comments escalate to physical violence after the men notice the woman filming.

The man in a light blue shirt with glasses can be seen trying to snatch the phone out of her hand.

Be advised the video below contains graphic language.

After arguing with a second woman on the train, the same man can be seen wrapping his hand around her neck.

Police told PIX11 that a formal complaint is on file and is being investigated by the Hate Crimes Task Force unit.

The following is her account of that night (see video below):

On Sunday, June 30th at around 11:45 PM, I was riding home on the Queens-bound F train following a day of LGBT Pride festivities. Two men were loudly making homophobic comments, such as “Today was a scary day for me. There were fags everywhere.” When a group of queer youth got on the train, the men proceeded to harass them, stating that the teens made them want to puke and that they would be killed if they were in Iran. The first assailant then threatened to rape them, at which point I took out my phone to document the incident.

Seeing that he was being recorded, the first assailant lunged at me, violently grabbing my arms while trying to steal away my phone. One of the youth took the phone from me temporarily to protect it and told the assailant he shouldn’t attack a woman. When the assailant threatened to punch me, I took the phone back and ran to the other side of the train to push the emergency button and alert the authorities. At this point the second assailant got up and came towards me, grabbing my body and hands to try and get the phone to destroy the evidence. I yelled and told him I was an attorney. An onlooker then got up and stood between the assailants and myself, and another person left to get the train conductor.

A group of people had gathered to stand up to the gay bashers. During this, the second assailant put his hand around the neck of a young queer woman. When the doors opened up at the Roosevelt Ave stop, both assailants fled. I followed them to the station exit while calling 911. One witness had overheard them saying they were on route to Jamaica; they’re likely commuters who regularly take this route.

I uploaded the video to YouTube to see if anyone can identify these men. I was left with bruises and scratches from both assailants which I also documented. If anyone sees them or knows them personally, please contact the authorities. This was a hate crime.