Show some love to mother earth by turning your closet green, and by that, we mean consider buying eco-friendly threads. And if you don’t know what brands carry a greener label, Rebekah George , style correspondent for dailycandy.com stopped by with a few picks.
• The signature vegan-leathers are custom developed to be 100% cruelty-free and 100% indistinguishable from real leather
• All bags are under $150.00
• Available at Kohls.com
Havaianas Eco Soul Collection
• Made of natural jute fabric, which is grown alongside the Amazonian river, this product does not require any fertilizers or pesticides
• Natural rubber sole mixed with pieces of recycled rubber
• All under $68.00
• Available at www.us.havaianas.com
Vans Surf Collection
Made with recycled materials; biodegradable water-based glues and inks, 100% hemp textile and P.E.T. (Polyethylene Terephthalate), including recycled plastic bottles, which can be reconstituted into unique fabrics. • • The outsoles on each style within the collection is made from a zero waste process. The outsole is cut to size and the scraps are then recycled on-site and reused in another shoe. •Additionally, every shoe comes with a removable foot bed that can be washed to give extended life to the shoe. $47-58
• Conscious Collection, for men and women, is made from more sustainable materials such as organic cotton, recycled polyester, and Tencel.
• The line features bold new colors and patterns as well as chic updated styles, proving just how stylish green fashion can be.
• Celebrities such as Emmy Rossum and Drew Barrymore have both been spotted supporting the sustainable collection.
• The launch of the Conscious Collection coincides with H&M’s global recycling initiative. This initiative allows customers to bring unwanted garments from any label to select H&M stores and in return for each bag of garments, receive a 15% off voucher. H&M is the first store to encourage garment return on this scale, in an effort to prevent clothing from going to landfill. $7.95 – $49.95 at H&M stores
Flint & Tinder
• Newsflash: Your sweatshirt probably has more air-miles than you do.
• Do the math: The average garment travels half way around the globe before it even gets sold, polluting the air and wasting energy.
• It takes approx. 3,330 gallons of water to make a single sweatshirt.*
• If you buy one sweatshirt every 2.5 years, that makes 13,320 gallons of water wasted over the next 10 years.
• You can save 9,990 gallons of water by purchasing Flint and Tinder’s 10-Year Hoodie, guaranteed for a decade and backed with a free mending service so you never have to buy another sweatshirt again.
• Available on flintandtinderusa.com/pages/kickstarter-frame with an $89 pledge * Based on the article “How Many Gallons of Water Does it Take to Make . . .” on treehugger.com , adjusted for fabric density and weight
A line of jewelry made with natural dyes. All of the pieces are handcrafted in El Salvador with a percentage of the proceeds going back into the communities. $44-160. For more info, check out sequencecollection.com