(NEW YORK) — The Tsarnaev brothers had plans to come to New York City in the days following the Boston, according to NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly but not for the reasons previously reported.
“There was some information that they may have been intent coming to New York but not to continue what they were doing,” said Kelly during a late morning news conference at NYPD headquarters.
Commissioner Kelly adding, “The information that we received said something about partying or having a party.”
The revelation comes from a cab driver that came across the brothers who says he heard them make a reference to New York City while talking in either Chechan or Russian. According to Commissioner Kelly, “He thought he heard the word Manhattan in the conversation.”
Commissioner Kelly also revealed that the younger suspect, 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev appears to have visited Times Square in November of 2012. A twitter handle attributed to him, @J_tsar , posted on November 23rd, “New York is so ratchet on black Friday it’s ridiculous, I’m to bed son” while a previous tweet two days earlier read “Lamb kebab #word new York got exactly what I need.”
When asked if Dzokhar traveled for personal reasons or reconnaissance? Commissioner Kelly said, “Unknown at this time, the investigation is going forward, obviously we are counting on the Boston authorities to provide information in that regard, but we are doing our own examination as well.”
Mayor Michael Bloomberg has a news conference slated for 2:30 p.m., PIX 11 News will have complete coverage of his reaction on PIX 11 News at 5.
The two brothers are believed to have operated independently in their terror spree that resulted in 4 deaths and more than 180 injured.