For day 2 of green week, we checked out some products to help us green our beauty routine.
Rebekah George , style correspondent for dailycandy.com stopped by with brands that are made without chemicals or preservatives, have recyclable packaging, and/or donate proceeds to an eco-friendly initiative.
1) JĀSÖN® Body Washes – These gentle washes cleanse with botanical surfactants and safely nourish with Vitamin E and Pro-Vitamin B5. The formulas are free of Parabens, Phthalates, Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate and Sodium Myreth Sulfate and come in 30oz bottles in a variety of amazing scents to ensure that the entire family can bathe cleanly, without added harsh chemicals or preservatives. Price: $14.43, Available (Revitalizing Citrus, Glowing Apricot, Soothing Aloe Vera, Relaxing Chamomile, Calming Lavender, Moisturizing Herbs, Invigorating Rosewater, Purifying Tea Tree, Softening Mango, Antioxidant Cranberry) at natural food stores, Whole Foods Market and www.jason-personalcare.com/
JĀSÖN® will also be hosting a program via Facebook from until April 30th benefitting the Earth Day Network’s Canopy Project. For every new “like” on their Facebook page during this timeframe, one tree will be planted in an area of need via the Canopy Project. Visit the page via http://bit.ly/JASONcares .
2) Urban Decay Good Karma Brushes – We’ve all done our fair share of deeds that put us deep into karmic debt. Lucky for us all, Urban Decay offers permanent good karma credit with a variety of high performance, artist-quality, cruelty free, vegan and eco-friendly makeup brushes. Each brush comes encased in a magnetic box fashioned out of recycled egg cartons, the super-soft synthetic brush hair (doesn’t hold on to stinky bacteria the way porous animal hair does) is made from recycled PET bottles, and the sleek gunmetal brush handles are recycled aluminum. Finally, a brush line with actual names rather than numbers tells you which brush to use for what/where. Whether you are a makeup novice or junkie, there is a Good Karma Brush (12 in all) to suit any and every beauty need. Price: $20 – $39 each, Available at Macy’s, ULTA, Beauty.com and UrbanDecay.com
3) Bond No. 9 I Love New York for Earth Day – When it comes to being green, New York is way ahead of the game. Bond No. 9 is celebrating the great state’s environmental smarts with this metro-sophisticated eu de parfum in fresh green packaging. A percentage of proceeds is donated toward the State of New York’s “green” initiatives – park cleanups, preservation programs, etc. Price: $175, Available at Saks and BondNo9.com
4) Caudalie Premier Cru La Crème – A facial crème that contains an exclusive, highly concentrated blend of Caudalie’s 3 star ingredients to yield firmer, more radiant skin. Its packaging is recyclable and 1% of profits from all Premier Cru products purchased contribute to protecting the environment under the 1% For the Planet movement. Ingredients include: Resveratrol-Oleyl – prevents Glycation; Vinefrine – prevents dark spots; Polyphenols – a highly powerful antioxidant Price: $155, Available at US.Caudalie.com
5) Avalon Organics® Lavender Nourishing Shampoo and Conditioner – A moisturizing shampoo and conditioner set with a calming scent and luxurious formula that is NSF certified with 70% organic ingredients – the highest organic standard in the personal care space. The products are also completely free of Parabens, Phthalates, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Myreth Sulfate and the packaging is made with 100% PCR (post consumer resin) materials. The formulas are packed with natural extracts including Lavender Essential Oil, Wheat Protein, Aloe, Babassu Oil, Vitamin E, Jojoba Oil, and Guar that create soft, shiny hair. Price: $10.50 each, Available at natural food stores, Whole Foods Market and www.avalonorganics.com
6) Alba Botanica® Even Advanced Sea Algae Enzyme Scrub – A gentle, yet effective facial scrub designed to target discoloration and uneven skin tone while sloughing off dry and dull skin. Its formula is powered by a Marine Complex infused with sea enzymes that stimulate cell regeneration and prevent hyper-pigmentation. Free of Parabens, Phthalates, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Myreth Sulfate, all Alba Botanica® products and ingredients are made without animal testing, which is exemplified through the Leaping Bunny certification on their packaging – an internally recognized symbol for cruelty-free cosmetics, personal care and household products. Price: $11.49, Available at natural food stores, Whole Foods Market and www.albabotanica.com
7) AHAVA Natural Dead Sea Mud – AHAVA’s Natural Dead Sea Mud is Eco-cert certified, ensuring that a minimum of 95% of its ingredients are natural or vegetable based, and at least 10% are organic. The highly concentrated formula is comprised of rich, black mineral mud, harvested for thousands of years from the Dead Sea, scientifically proven to deep clean the skin while restoring its natural moisture balance. Price: $15, Available at www.ahavaus.com