Vigils held across city of Boston as FBI investigation continues

Posted at 11:20 PM, Apr 16, 2013
and last updated 2013-04-16 23:20:34-04

BOSTON (PIX11) – The healing process has begun in Boston with a series of vigils across the city while the criminal investigation continues.

This one – in Boston common, where several hundred people gathered to honor the three people who lost their lives.
In all, 170-others suffered various injuries in Monday’s marathon bombing.

That includes a newly-identified victim Krystal Campbell, who graduated from Medford high school in Massachusetts in 2001.

The scene was repeated Tuesday evening – with another vigil In Dorchester, where young martin Richard lived.

The 8-year-old is the youngest victim, and died watching his father run the marathon.

Tuesday, four of his friends – off for Spring Break this week – walked toward the family’s home in the Dorchester section of Boston, where a single white balloon flies on the porch.

Flower deliveries arrived throughout the day, in some cases hand-delivered by caring neighbors.

Bill Richard – now mourning the death of his son – is also tending to his wife and daughter, who suffered serious injuries as spectators during Monday’s dual blast near the finish line.

He released a statement, which reads in part, “We thank our family and friends, those we know and those we have never met, for their thoughts and prayers. I ask that you continue to pray for my family as we remember Martin. We also ask for your patience and for privacy as we work to simultaneously grieve and recover.”

The healing process is underway, and so is the expanding criminal probe, which law enforcement officials now say could become a terrorist investigation.

Police Commissioner Ed Davis said, “We are in the process of securing and processing he most complex crime scene that we’ve death with in the history of our department.”

Investigators say at this point, they believe the two devices that exploded within 15-seconds of each other at the 4-hour mark of the Marathon may have been pressure cookers
loaded with shrapnel – similar to this one – set off by a timer device, likely a cell phone.

“I started walking g toward the finish line and people were running toward me in tears…. I was scared. If I had to put money on it, I was 95 percent sure she was at the impact zone”, said Bert Soden.
The FBI, which is leading the investigation, is just as determined to make an arrest.

And while there were early reports of a young man – a Saudi national – in custody and under questioning by authorities who now say he is not a suspect, but a key witness.