BRONX (PIX11)- “I really got my life. And I got to be blessed with that.”
Blessed for sure, considering what Samantha Cobel woke up to around 7:30 a.m. on Saturday morning. Flames were leaping out of a window, and from under her bed. A friend and three children, ages 3, 9 and 11 were inside Cobel’s fifth floor apartment in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx when the fire broke out.
“I seen the flames I thought I could put it out. But being that I couldn’t it got smokey and I just grabbed my family and ran. I just ran to the next door neighbor’s door and banged on her door, and asked her to call 911,” said Cobel.
More than one hundred firefighters raced to the 3-alarmer at the Michelangelo houses, where, some of them trapped, were suffering the effects of the thick black smoke.
“The fire department came and got me. Every time I cough it comes up like black,” said Delores Carter.
According to Deputy Chief John Sullivan 26 civilians were moderately injured, five of them critical.
Five firefighters were also hurt. Some of the victims were taken right across the street to Lincoln Hospital. The critically injured are being treated under the Hyperbaric Chambers at Jacobi Medical Center.
The smoke rose all the way to the 27th floor the top floor of this building. And all the tenants who were injured were found either in the smoky hallways or stairwell.
Samantha Cobel suspects a faulty outlet in her bedroom may have sparked the fire. But there hasn’t been any official word yet.