Disgraced former U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner has apparently not shelved his aspirations to become New York City’s next mayor.
Weiner was widely seen as a leading contender to snag the 2013 Democratic nomination in the race for City Hall before his sexting scandal forced him to resign and tarnished his reputation, many argue irreparably.
Now, Weiner has given a lengthy interview to the New York Times magazine opening up about the 2011 sexting scandal that cost him his career and saying he is considering running for mayor despite the serious odds arrayed against him.
He told the Times he would like to “ask people to give him a second chance.”
“We have been in a defensive crouch for so long,” Weiner told the magazine. “We are ready to clear the decks on this thing.”
The scandal began in late May 2011 with a tweet showing a photo of his underwear-clad crotch that he sent to a woman across the country.
He initially insisted his account had been hacked, but new women came forward with damaging photos and Facebook conversations. The tawdry images included a photograph he had sent a woman of his penis.
“I did spend a lot of time saying and thinking: ‘I. Don’t. Under. Stand.’ And it took a long time to be able to sit on a couch next to Anthony and say, O.K., I understand and I forgive.”
And Weiner certainly has a dollar advantage. He has $4.3 million in campaign money, raised in 2009 during an earlier stab at the mayoralty, that he can tap to promote his comeback efforts.
Weiner will have to decide soon, as he has to be in the race by June 10 to qualify for matching funds, the Times reported.