FRESH MEADOWS, New York (PIX11) — Nicole Mello grabbed her four year old son and ran out of her basement apartment on 65th Avenue and 169th Street in Fresh Meadows, Queens after she heard cries for help just before 2 a.m.
Mello helplessly watched as several members of one family started coming out of the second floor apartment and when not everyone was accounted for, she said she saw the father run back inside. Witnesses said they saw a firefighter carry one of the youngest members of the family out in his arms.
“He was running down the block because the ambulance couldn’t get in. The child looked lifeless,” said Debbie Chow, who lives across the street.
According to the FDNY, 11 people were taken to New York Hospital and Long Island Jewish. 7 had minor or non-life threatening injuries while 4 others suffered more serious life threatening injuries. Authorities say the fire was accidental and while the investigation is still ongoing, the fire started in the second floor kitchen, in the area of the stove.