Pair arrested in connection with Bronx woman’s dismemberment, no murder charges yet

Posted at 7:10 PM, Feb 27, 2013
and last updated 2013-02-27 20:29:04-05

(Melrose, The Bronx) – As candles burn in memory of Tanya Byrd — the 45-year-old mother who was murdered, mutilated, and disposed of in parts throughout the Melrose section of the Bronx — detectives from the 40th precinct arrested her 23-year-old, son Bashid McLean, along with his acquaintance, 26-year-old William Harris, late Wednesday afternoon on several charges including unlawful dissection of a human body.

According to sources, the NYPD has not charged either man because they are both fingering each other for the murder.

Meanwhile, at the St. Mary’s Park Houses, crime scene investigators hauled out large evidence bags shortly before 2 p.m.  On the second floor, investigators were still working the unit where Byrd was believed to have been butchered with an electrical saw.

Body found on Bronx street

Tanya Bird’s body was found chopped up, stuffed in trash bags and dumped on a Bronx street.
A passerby called police after seeing a human leg sticking out of the trash pile.

On Tuesday, detectives went to a 3rd Avenue hardware store just blocks from the various crime scenes. PIX 11 News learned that detectives arrived with an image of a Black and Decker reciprocating saw on a cell phone and asked if any were recently sold.

A man running the hardware store did not want to go on camera, but did confirm that two males came in just a few days ago and purchased a reciprocating saw made by Black and Decker, adding that one of those men matched the description of Byrd’s son.

Dr. Ng Berrill is a noted forensic psychologist who has interviewed hundreds of murderers.  From his years of practice, the mutilation of a body  is about a killer eliminating his victim’s existence, “Erasing them from society, obliterating the reality of their wholeness, and then putting them into pieces so that the puzzle simply cannot be reconstructed, said Dr. Berrill.

The two suspects were walked out of the 40th precinct shortly past 6 p.m.