It was a bad start to Friday morning for residents of 195 1st street in Newark. “In the living room, the water was coming inside the door,” said Adrienne James who lives on the 12th floor. “There is water all through the hallways, all through the hallways there is water.”
According to the Newark Fire Department, a pipe burst in a vacant apartment on either the 13th or 14th floor. No one caught the leak and water began flooding neighboring apartments and lower floors. Water even reached the first floor, according to a spokesperson John Brown.
The water also compromised electrical wiring, resulting in a partial power outage in the 20 floor building. No one was injured and residents have been advised to stay in their apartments until further notice.