(CNN) – – “Today we wore green to show respect and love to Sandy Hook!! Our hearts are heavy just as the day it happened,” Maria B. wrote on HLN’s FB page.
“There just is no words of sadness, sympathy or condolences to express how bad I feel. I just pray that God will get these families through this horrific tragedy. It is so unacceptable and way too much of it happening,” Carol D. wrote.
In comment after comment, we’ve been hearing words of condolence from people all over the world.
We also know you may want to help. Click here for organizations accepting financial donations. If you aren’t in the position to donate money, here are a few other things you can do:
1. When the children of Sandy Hook Elementary go back to school, the National Parent Teacher Association wants them to be greeted by a winter wonderland. You and your child can help welcome the students back to school, which will be in a new building, by making unique snowflakes! The snowflakes are due by January 12. Please send them to:
60 Connolly Parkway
Building 12, Suite 103 Hamden, CT 06514
2. You can also share your kind words of condolence by sending the community of Newtown a condolence letter:
Message of Condolence
PO Box 3700
Newtown, CT 06470
3. Some of the victim’s families have also set up specific pages for you to leave condolences online. Click on the names to leave your thoughts for the family of Dawn Hochsprung, Emilie Parker, Noah Pozner and Benjamin Wheeler.
4. Messages are also being collected here on Evergram. They will be given to the family at a later date.
5. You can also do something you may have been putting off for a while. Go around your house with your child and find the toys they don’t play with anymore. Then donate them to a local charity.
6. You can also make a commitment as a family to volunteer at your school or community center.
7. Make sure this information gets out to the people who need it. Just hit the retweet button or copy and paste the information to post it on other social networks.
8. If you need a little inspiration for more creative ways to help your community and do good, check out this conversation happening on Twitter. People are labeling their Twitter updates with the hashtag #26acts — a kind act for each of the people who died at the school.
9. Find other people in your community who are pledging to walk for 27 minutes on Friday 12/21 at 9:30 a.m.
11. Some online gamers are also suspending online shooting for one day, Friday, Dec. 21. Click here to join other gamers.